Internship and Fast-Track Opportunities
Sink your teeth into the veterinary internship of a lifetime and get the support and guidance you need to advance your veterinary skills.
Are you in your final year of vet science or have just graduated in the last 12 months, and are considering emergency as the path to take your veterinary career? Then AEA have the most comprehensive emergency focused internship and fast-track program available to give you the kick-start you need.
Animal Emergency Australia takes on the responsibility of training and teaching and developing our veterinary team members into becoming competent and confident emergency and critical care veterinarians. Our training package includes clinical and technical skill, knowledge and professional development, and personal tools and strategies that enable veterinarians to perform at a high level and thrive within the emergency and critical care environment.
Does the Word "Emergency" Excite You?
We have been in this game for the last two decades and know all the pros and cons of a career in emergency. We know the word emergency gives a massive spike of adrenaline but then almost as quickly brings feelings of doubts and raises concerns as to whether or not you can do it or if it is for you.
We know this because we felt it too when we started.
Many vets want to give emergency a go because it is action-packed, interesting, and you learn so much, plus you have a massive impact every shift. However the uncertainty that comes with it can be scary.
We simply want to help veterinarians to do and be their best.
Our Internship and Fast Track programs are specifically tailored for developing great emergency veterinarians with a focus on clinical excellence. We know that it’s our responsibility when we take you on to provide you all the support and guidance you need to succeed. We’ve developed the right structure, genuine support and mentoring, valuable skills, knowledge and performance, all within a supportive veterinary environment.
Tailored Internship and Fast-Track Programs to Support You
To overcome this challenge and to prepare our team members the best way possible, we’ve created specifically tailored internship and fast-track programs. So what exactly does an Internship or Fast-Track program involve? Watch the video with Dr Alex and Dr Gerardo to find out more.
These programs are designed to not only train and develop the skills, technical ability and knowledge required to be a great emergency veterinarian: the necessary hard skills. Our programs also cover what is lacking in other training programs, which are the vital soft skills that are critical for success both in and out of the consult room.
In addition, unlike other programs, our goal is to train to keep you as part of our team for your entire career, not rotate you through and replace you with minimal training. So we invest heavily in you to get you up and running and on the hospital floor shoulder-to-shoulder with the rest of the team.
What We're Looking For From You
- A professional approach to veterinary care, especially for patients that are critically ill or have sustained life-threatening injuries
- The desire to learn to “do and be your best” and understand the role that feedback, coaching and mentoring plays a critical part of this
- A willingness to learn and apply knowledge, give things a go, and step outside your comfort zone to achieve rapid growth
- Excellent communication skills both within the consult room and as part of a large team
- Commitment to personal health and mental wellbeing – look after yourself to provide excellent care for your clients, patients, and team
- A focus on camaraderie as nothing in emergency is achieved alone, we work as a team to accomplish great things together
If this makes you feel excited but uncomfortable at the same time, then this program is right for you because…
The discomfort you feel is your life leveling up.
How Our Internship and Fast-Track Program Supports You
Receive support and mentorship throughout every step of your journey into the exciting world of veterinary emergency.
So what are the benefits of an internship with AEA?
- Structured mentoring program – one mentor for your internship or fast track period
- Weekly and fortnightly check-ins to make sure that you are reviewing and reflecting on your progress both on shift and outside of work
- Support to make sure you are transitioning ok, answer any questions you have regarding the training resources, and to troubleshoot and help you develop solutions to challenges that arise
- Access to everything an emergency veterinarian would need:
- In-house diagnostic lab, digital radiology, ultrasound, advanced patient monitoring, critical care capabilities
- 24/7 on-phone support and access to specialists in emergency and critical care and experienced intensive care nurses
- Surrounded by a team of experienced and highly capable emergency veterinarians, nurses and client care representatives
- Courses to cover the fundamental skills that make great emergency vets:
- Accelerated Emergency Program offered through our partner, Improve Veterinary Education, designed to build vital clinical skills and knowledge
- Emergency Surgery Program with step-by-step breakdowns of common emergency surgical conditions
- Ultrasound Training to enhance your powerful diagnostic skills in practice
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation – narrow down the key components of this critical emergency skill
- Vet Success Academy – master consultations with confidence and professionalism
- THRIVE – we help you tackle the challenges of working within this impactful yet challenging profession
- AEA LIVE Program to focus on your career progression and fast-track your journey into new roles
Frequently Asked Questions
Which program is best for me: Internship or Fast-Track?
Our internship program is designed for new graduates or recently graduated veterinarians with less than 12 months of primary case management experience. Whereas the fast-track program is designed for more skilled vets who possess more than 12 months of primary case management experience. Both programs will offer the same opportunities and educational value, with the fast-track program quite literally "fast-tracking" vets through the stages of the program that you're already competent in.
How will the AEA Internship and Fast-Track programs build my emergency skills?
We offer the AEA Accelerated Emergency Program, designed specifically to help veterinarians transition into the emergency. Each of the 15 modules covers veterinary emergency topics relevant and applicable to the everyday clinical setting – your ‘need to knows’ for emergency practice! The modules include diagnostic tools – how to best use, interpretation of diagnostic findings, recommendations for workup and management options, case-based assessments and overall critical care patient monitoring and care. Upon completion you gain postgraduate qualifications (Foundation Certificate in Emergency and Critical Care (FCert ECC)).
Will I miss out on doing surgery if I join the Internship and Fast-Track program?
Certainly not! Surgery is an essential aspect of being a top-notch emergency clinician and to support you we offer the Accelerated Emergency Surgery Program. This program focuses on the common emergency surgical conditions. It covers the relevant background information, diagnostic findings, medical stabilisation and post-operative considerations, surgical principles and theory, followed by a step-by-step breakdown with accompanying videos from real surgeries so that you can see how it is performed in real life. The Accelerated Emergency Surgery Program will help you feel more prepared when having to perform an emergency surgery and is a valuable resource that you can go back to and watch to refresh your memory before scrubbing in.
What other clinical skills will I learn when I sign up for the program?
Both ultrasound and CPR are taught to every single one of our veterinarians here at the AEA team. Ultrasound is one of the most powerful diagnostic tools available to emergency veterinarians. The training focuses on how to gain and optimise your image, how to perform focused abdominal and thoracic scans and then also how to perform a systematic ultrasound. This is a combination of theory and in-hospital practice. Unlike in general practice where performing CPR is a one a year situation, in a busy emergency hospital, you can perform it several times a shift. This program which is based on the RECOVER guidelines gives you the skills and knowledge to know what to do and when to do it, so that the chances of success are increased ten fold.
Will there be opportunities to learn professional non-clinical skills like client communication?
For those who haven't yet mastered the consult room, we offer our "Vet Success Academy" designed at enhancing your professional skills as a veterinarian. Improving your communication is a rewarding and fulfilling experience where you get to connect with clients and save lives. This program will give you the strategies and skills you need to be able to feel confident, knowledgeable and professional every single time no matter the case, client or cost.
How does AEA support personal development?
To aid your personal development, we've created the LIVE Program (Leadership, Inspire, Vision, Excellence) specifically developed with emergency veterinary professionals in mind. It is an AEA initiative that is designed to help emergency veterinary professionals develop in the main areas that are often forgotten or not considered as important as clinical or technical knowledge and skills. We have learned the hard way that technical and clinical prowess does not automatically equate to being great at working in an emergency environment. So we created this program to share the new skills, tools and strategies, develop the mindset and habits that will help our emergency team be successful in the long term.
What educational programs does AEA offer to help develop my emergency clinical skills?
As part of the Internship program, you'll be given full access to the Accelerated Emergency Program offered through our education partner, Improve Veterinary Education. This comprehensive 12-month course is valued at $4650.00 and is specifically designed to give you a foundation of clinical skills you need to become a confident emergency vet. This is just one of many courses offered through Improve Veterinary Education for both AEA staff and the wider veterinary community.
Still have questions?
Download Your Info Package
Internship positions for 2023/2024 have now been filled – Fast-Track positions are still open! Please reach out to us using the form.
Want to know more? Simply fill out the form to Download your Internship and Fast-Track Program info package. Our programs also provide a training package encompassing the courses outlined in the FAQs above in addition to on-shift training and mentoring from experienced veterinarians, supervisors, and veterinarian team managers.
- Clinical and technical skills – mix of theory and practical training, both in the hospital and outside of the hospital.
- Professional development – the mindset, the tools and strategies you need to perform at your best
- Personal development – help you develop the right habits and practices to support your clinical skills and knowledge and professional development.
Download Your Internship Program Package
Career Talk, Emergency
International Veterinarian Q&A – Everything You Need to Know
In our international veterinarian Q&A, we’ll address your questions, provide guidance, and offer insights into veterinary work overseas.
Continuing Education, People and Culture
Veterinary Fellowship One Step Closer for Dr Courtney Reddrop
We’re thrilled to announce Dr Courtney Reddrop has reached a significant milestone in his journey toward becoming a specialist veterinarian.
International Veterinary Work (and How to Make the Transition)
Working abroad can be an exciting and eye-opening experience. Join us as we explore the benefits and let you know how to make the transition!